NOTARY PUBLIC INITIAL APPOINTMENT REQUIREMENTS
Any resident citizen or alien of the state, 18 years of age or older, may be appointed a notary public in and for the parish in which they reside provided that they meet the requirements established by Louisiana R.S.35:191.
Notary applicants must be qualified by the Secretary of State’s Office and, unless licensed to practice law in Louisiana, must complete the Notary Exam Pre-Assessment as well as take and pass the state notary exam. The pre-assessment is online and must be completed before an applicant can register for the state notary exam. The pre-assessment is mandatory but only needs to be taken once. The state notary exam is given twice a year on the first Saturday in June and December.
UPDATE: NEXT LOUISIANA NOTARY EXAM SCHEDULED FOR MARCH 2023
Examination Date: March 04, 2023 (Additional date March 25 if capacity exceeded)
Registration Deadline: February 2, 2023
Pre-Assessment Deadline: January 26, 2023
Registration will open Monday, October 03, 2022
UPDATE: NEXT LOUISIANA NOTARY EXAM SCHEDULED FOR MAY 2023
Examination Date: May 27, 2023 (Additional date June 17 if capacity exceeded)
Registration Deadline: April 27, 2023
Pre-Assessment Deadline: April 20, 2023
Registration will open Monday, March 6, 2023
Click here for application information with the Louisiana Secretary of State
How to Qualify to Become a Louisiana Notary
To become an applicant, you are required to complete an Application to Qualify. To qualify, you must:
- be registered to vote in the parish in which you seek commission;
- be a resident citizen or alien of this state;
- not have been convicted of a felony and not been pardoned;
- be able to read, write, speak and be sufficiently knowledgeable of the English language;
- be 18 years of age or older; and
- hold a high school diploma, a diploma for completion of a home study program approved by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education or a high school equivalency diploma issued after successfully completing the test of General Educational Development.